Be joyful always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Preparing for Christmas and feeling Jesus' love=a zoo?!?!

I absolutely love Christmas time...decorating, wrapping presents, singing Christmas songs, hearing the AMAZING story of Jesus' birth!!! However, getting into the full Christmas mode has been a little challenging this year. It just hit me this week that since October 15th, I have a 1-year-old and a 2-year-old running the household up until ME's birthday in a few weeks. With that being said, the house is kinda disastrous and trying to pull out Christmas decor just adds to the chaos. Will someone please tell me that my house will one day look like a house again???

So my bright plan was just to partially decorate for Christmas this year and not pull out ALL of the breakables. The downside to that is that I still have to go through all 15 of my Christmas boxes to find what I want to put out. So much for having all this done before Thanksgiving. Oh well, there's always next year, right? Oh, and to add to the fun...every single strand of lights I've plugged in so far either is out completely, or partially works after I string it through the garland. Ugh!

I've been blessed to be the teacher in ME's 3-year-old Sunday School class this semester. What a fun way to share the story of Jesus and all of His amazing things that He's done for us! I don't know that I'll get to do this with Benjamin anytime soon because I don't think the nursery teachers are willing to share him. They just eat him up every time! I love how he goes straight into his room and starts right away with the toys. Hopefully, both of the kids are sort of soaking up the meaning of Christmas while at church!
I started this tree the year ME was born. This has turned into her birthday tree. The funny thing is that I didn't tell her that and this year, the second she saw it, she told me it was her birthday tree. Then immediately after that she said, "Quick, take a picture of me, mom!" Later she helped me put the ornaments on it...we only broke 3...that night at least. ;) It's OK, though, because the rest of the night she repeatedly said "Sorry, mom!" in the most sincere way. How could you be upset with that even?
Since we kept breaking ornaments, I thought making a Gingerbread House would be safer. She loved "gluing" the candy to the house. Really I think she just liked licking the icing off her fingers! But who doesn't?
Benjamin couldn't stand not being a part of it, especially since there was food involved!
"Who's licking the icing? Not me!"
ME was so proud of her Gingerbread House. I think it's beautiful! :)
Benjamin lost interest in the house very quickly when he realized he couldn't eat any of it. So he moved onto his next game...climbing into the dishwasher.
If you're at our house anytime soon and there are dishes in the sink, it's probably because Benjamin is awake. I have a very short window of opportunity to get in and out of the dishwasher these days without any help.
I know that this seemed like a lot of rambling, but in a nutshell my house is kind of crazy, busy these days. But hopefully, in the middle of the madness of the monstrous laundry loads, wrapping the presents, playing dressup or running from dinosaurs, oh, and working full time, I will be able to slow down long enough to share the story of Jesus' birth and explain to the kids what Christmas is all about. Does it mean I'm off to a good start when Mary Elizabeth wants to sleep with baby Jesus from her Little People nativity scene?

1 comment:

Picture Books said...

love all those pics! we just did gingerbread houses yesterday (was a huge hit with Noah! caroline mostly just ate the candy and then left the scene). It's amazing you're decorating at all with those two kids around! Last year we did a tree with lights only (was rather pretty actually) and this year did ornaments too (but risky...so far so good). What is ME doing for her 3rd b-day? Can it be true that our girls are turning three!! By the way, Ben is precious. He is just so darn cute.