Be joyful always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Parting is such sweet sorrow



Today is such a bittersweet day. First it is Benjamin's 2nd birthday! Sadly, though, we had to say goodbye to our first baby, Dixie.

Last week, on mine and Drew's anniversary (remember something sad always happens on or around our anniversary), we headed to my parent's house to pick up the kids and Dixie on our way home from Fayetteville. But when we got there, Dixie just didn't seem like she felt well. So she had a 4 1/2 hour visit at the Vet ER, and then spent a week at the vet on an iv during the day and vegging around the house every night this week. At first they thought she had pancreatitis, but then they decided it was probably something more considering she never changed from day to day. Early this morning, it seemed like she kind of went into a coma and went blind, with other symptoms that I'll spare you the details on. We were going to have an ultrasound done on her on Monday to get some answers, but God helped us with those answers a little bit earlier.

Letting go of anyone is never easy. But I am at somewhat of a peace considering how I saw her this morning and the state Dixie was in all week. I think the hardest part will be explaining to the kids where Dixie is and then getting use to a new daily routine that will not include our Dixie Doodle. If anyone knows me at all, I am such an animal lover, and I truly feel like I've lost a family member. She was such a part of our family for 7 years and we will miss her very much!

1 comment:

LaLa said...

Dixie Doodle we miss you! I loved the way Dixie would get so excited when I would pick her up - the minute we would turn the corner to our street she could hardly wait to get to Lala & Dandy's house - miss you!