Be joyful always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Monday, August 15, 2011

1st Day Back to School (Full-Time)

Even though the kids have gone to school all Summer long, they didn't go every day or all day. Hey, I still had to get my time with them, too...that's why I teach (so I can enjoy my Summers with the fam)! But Benjamin and Mary Elizabeth started their new classes today, just like I did. And since they've been going all Summer, their "first day of school" shouldn't have been a big deal. But it was to me! First, I had to enjoy the first Arkansas sales-tax holiday and go get them new school supplies AND new outfits. Secondly and sadly, their first day of school was also my first day of school, so I didn't get to be that "Supermom" that I always dreamt of being and get to take them to school and take their pictures with their new teachers or classrooms because I have to be in my classroom taking pictures with everyone else's kids on their first days of school. It didn't help me get over that fact either when I showed up with 5 families standing outside of my locked classroom at 7:18 (school doesn't even start until 7:40!). Instead, I had to resort to Drew taking pics of the kids with his camera phone so don't judge the quality. Ha!

I got Benjamin an alligator polo to wear because he loves to "roar" people these days. I bought an outfit for ME, but she opted for one of her church dresses instead...gotta love a girl with style! Drew took this pic outside of our house right in front of the crepe myrtle that is pleasantly hiding the trash can, but not the pile of leftover shingles the roofers left.

I'm happy to report that they both enjoyed their first day in their new classes. Benjamin actually has the same two teachers as last year, whom I love! He just moved to a new classroom with his friends because they are not the "babies" anymore and had to move to a "big kid" room. ME, on the other hand, did move to a new room and got a new teacher. I was a little worried about her starting her new class this year at first because her two girl BFF's moved onto Pre-K since they have summer birthdays. And Davis and her other friends from her class were assigned to another room. As soon as Drew and I realized that she was only going to know one person in her new class, we were "those parents" that called the school to see if she could switch classes. But being in education myself, I realize class changes can't always happen that easily, even after Drew called. However, I gave it more thought and called back to the school myself and said that I just wanted to prepare ME before she starts back to school and tell her who will be in her class so she'll at least know her classmates' names. As I was talking to the director, she didn't realize that the kids' named were not in ME's previous class. Then I immediately realized that she didn't name ANY girls!!! Whoa! My sweet princess first of all isn't going to know anyone in her class? AND she's going to be the only girl? Well, ummm, I guess it is what it is and we'll just help ME through this change. But I guess the director heard my sadness in my voice and called me back in less than 10 minutes to tell me that she was a parent of little children once and totally understood how I felt, so she moved ME back into the class with all of her friends and with girls! I think it's going to be a great year!

I guess I've started a first day of school tradition with Benjamin and Mary Elizabeth now by taking them to Orange Leaf (or "The Leaf Orange" as ME calls it). With the week before school starts being so crazy for me setting up the classroom, I feel like I don't get to spend any time with them at all. ME has been begging me to take her there anyway for the last few weeks because she keeps reminding that hasn't had any accidents at nap time anymore. She's such the persuader!
There's nothing like a first day of school picture with a band-aid right on the forehead! But ice cream makes it all better!


I don't even think ME realized that Lila and Claire weren't at school today.

No comments: