Be joyful always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Monday, January 21, 2008

The things we do for our children

First, I have to say thanks a million to my parents for all of the things they did for me growing up. I now have come to appreciate the phrase "The things we do for our children" as I did something last night that I never dreamt that I would have done in my lifetime. I camped out for a daycare spot. Yes, you did read correctly..I said daycare, not a concert ticket.

My church has a great daycare and registration for the fall was held this morning for church members. I have heard that people camp out for this, but I thought it was a rumor--I stand corrected. There were only 2 spots available for Mary Elizabeth's age group, so it was suggested that I camp out for it. Drew and I scoped out the daycare area after church yesterday and saw an unofficial sign up sheet to show that people were already in line (really sitting in their cars) since 10:30 Sunday morning. Luckily, I was the only one at that time that was trying to register for Mary Elizabeth's class. After fretting all day about what to do and complaining about this crazy process, I'm thankful that I did it. I went back to the church last night at 7 to claim my "bed" in the youth worship center, then at about 7:30, several others showed up. Luckily, only 1 other girl was there for the other spot in Mary Elizabeth's class. But about 1 hour later, another couple showed up for the same class. When they realized that the 2 of us were already there for the last 2 spots, they left. So I guess it was worth camping out for daycare.

I can't believe she's already 1 month old and I've already learned what that phrase truly means. And I'm sure that this is just the beginning of many other "things" I'll do for her. :)

On another note, I've mentioned that Mary Elizabeth is stubborn just like her daddy, and does things on her own time. But I'm excited to say that her umbilical cord FINALLY fell off, so I guess we're going to attempt a real bath tonight. I'm excited!!!

5 comments:

Kerri said...

I think you have truly learned what that saying means! You will start to think of them more than you think of your own self. And I wouldn't have it any other way!

Molly said...

Mary Elizabeth is lucky to have a mom that would do that for her. She's precious!!

LaLa said...

Yes the things we do for our children and our dogs and our husbands - but what a great mom you are! I am so proud of you and Drew and the way you have jumped into parenthood - you guys are doing a great job and yes one day she too will appreciate all you've done!

Anonymous said...

It's only the beginning! and it'll never stop!

Anonymous said...

Last message: I meant Grandy!